You may not need to go to the doctor the next time you fight a minor infection. Antibiotics have been around for centuries, not necessarily in the modern form of pills. The original antibiotics we’re made from natural sources.
Let’s find out which are 20 natural antibiotics that fight infection.
- Honey – this product it’s traced from ancient times, from the Aristotle era, when it was used as an antibiotic. Honey contains hydrogen peroxide which has antibacterial properties. Also, it has a low ph level causing the bacteria to get dehydrated and die. You can use it to apply on a wound, it will kill bacteria an help heal faster. For internal infections, it’s necessary to ingest honey. It’s useful for treating burns, ulcers, wounds, bedsores.
- Garlic extract – it’s good to prevent infection inside or outside the body, having preventive and curative properties showed in different studies. It’s good in many types of bacteria, including E-coli and Salmonella. Tou can purchase garlic or extract from the local stores. You should pay attention to the amount you will ingest because it can cause internal bleeding. It’s safe to ingest one or two cloves per day. Allicin is the compound found in garlic and has excellent antimicrobial functions. It is the most active compound in garlic which gives it these properties. Allicin is highly effective against MRS (Multidrug Resistance Strains) bacteria. Another compound found in garlic it’s Ajoene, which has antifungal properties.
- Ginger – several studies, including one conducted in 2017, have shown that it’s a natural antibiotic that has the ability to fight different types of bacteria. Ginger contains phenols and gingerols, two substances that are essential for treating inflammation. It can be used as an analgesic, antibacterial and sedative to treat infections.
- Myrrh extract – it’s used to kill pathogens as Staphylococcus, Ecoli, Candida. It’s a reddish-brown dries sap from a thorny tree and it was used in traditional Chinese medicine. It kills harmful infectious bacteria. It also can help decrease inflammation.
- Thyme essential oil – it’s helpful against antibiotic-resistant bacteria. It’s only for external body use.
- Echinacea – it’s used for a hundred years for native Americans to treat infections and wounds. It can kill different types of bacteria, like Streptococcus pyogenes, which is the strep throat and the flesh-eating disease. Echinacea’s an herb native to areas from the Rocky Mountains in the United States. Also, it’s grown in Canada and Europe. It’s widely used to fight flu, respiratory infections, urinary tract infections, herpes, HPV, ear infection, typhoid, malaria, nose and throat infections. It can also be used to treat skin wounds. You can find Echinacea in the form of pills, juice or tea.
- Goldenseal – is consumed in tea or capsules for combating bacterial diarrhea or urinary tract infections. It contains berberine, a component of natural antibiotics.
- Oregano essential oil – it’s one of the most powerful antibacterial essential oils. It contains thymol and carvacrol, two antifungal and antibacterial components. This oil is made from the oregano plant. This should be applied only externally.
- Clove – it’s efficient to fight against many types of bacteria, including Ecoli.
- Onion – contain flavonoids that have antibiotic properties. If you use onion for medical reasons, you should cut open the onion and let it for ten minutes to increase the phytonutrient effect.
- Grapefruit seed extract – prevents the growth of numerous types of fungi and bacteria.
- Horseradish – has antibiotic properties and can treat urinary tract infections, kidney stones, and bronchitis.
- Vitamin C – it’s contained by many fruits like oranges and pineapples and it’s a natural antibiotic. It has anti-infectious and immunomodulatory properties.
- Cinnamon – its antibacterial properties are due to its components, cinnamaldehyde, and eugenol. It’s used for treating antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections.
- Apple cider vinegar – contains a component named malic acid, known to possess antibiotic properties. It’s effective at killing Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. Also, it’s good for treating a sore throat. Apple cider vinegar it’s made from crushed, distilled and fermented apples.
- Eucalyptus – recent studies have proven that it has antibacterial effects on pathogenic bacteria in the upper respiratory tract, including Haemophilus influenzae. It is rich in cineole, an antiseptic.
- Tea tree oil – it’s a product extracted from the tea tree plant and is a wide spectrum antibiotic used on the skin. It contains monoterpenes responsible for antimicrobial activity, they block energy production and destroy the membrane of bacterial and fungal cells.
- Turmeric – it’s commonly used in Indian cuisine not only for the flavor but also for the healthy properties. Curcumin is the active component you find in turmeric. In tests, it blocked the biofilms of bacteria that cause infections, like Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus mirabilis, and Serratia marcescens. It also kills Candida.
- Red Pepper – they are frequently used in cuisine but they also have antimicrobial and antifungal properties. The active component of red pepper its capsaicin, which is known for its antimicrobial and anti-virulence activity. It should be take in moderate amounts because it can cause stomach irritation.
- Rosemary – it’s a very used herb that adds flavor to food. It is also known for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, hepato-protective, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. The main components of Rosemary are 1,8-cineole, Î±-pinene, camphene, Î±-terpineol, and borneol.
Since Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin, antibiotics were used intensively. You must be careful not to overuse antibiotics to don’t develop antibiotics resistance. In order to do that, you can use natural antibiotics like the ones presented before. Natural antibiotics are spices and herbs with antifungal and antibacterial properties. The good thing about them it’s the fact that they don’t have the side effects antibiotics have.
Herbal antibiotics have been used for thousands of years and they are recognized for their antibacterial properties and fewer side effects.
The next time you need antibiotics, you may take a look over these natural antibiotics. They are easy to find in the local stores and you can try them.
You should always talk about natural antibiotics with your doctor. He can help you providing more information and making sure you make the right decisions, based on your particular case.